St. lawrence edges Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey

The Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team let one slip away on Saturday night at TD Bank Sports Center, losing to the St. Lawrence 3-2. The Bobcats let up two goals in a 1:12 span late in the third period to let the game slip away.

Despite getting many scoring opportunities on the power play, the Bobcats only went 1 for 7 on the day.

“We weren’t a very good team tonight, I think we stunk in every facet of the game,” Bobcats head coach Rand Pecknold said.

Matthew Peca helped give Quinnipiac a one-goal lead in the first period. With less than two minutes left in the period, Soren Jonzzon’s wrist shot was called off by the official, but Peca immediately put in the rebound to make the score 1-0.

The Saints evened it in the second with a shot by Gavin Bayreuther. Following a series of saves by Garteig Bayreuther got the puck just in front of the blue line, and Garteig lost sight of the puck for the Saints to capitalize.

Less than two minutes into the third period, Bryce Van Brabant helped the Bobcats take a 2-1 lead with a power-play goal assisted by Zach Tolkinen and Travis St. Denis. The Saints came back with their second goal, this time by Brian Ward. With the score even at two, Kellen Jones got called for a controversial interference call, and just 13 seconds into the power play Justin Baker poked one in to give the Saints the 3-2 lead.

The Bobcats still maintained control in the final minutes of the third period, outshooting the Saints 36-7.

The Saints experienced some sloppy play in the closing minutes. With three St. Lawrence penalties in the final five minutes of play, including a whistle for too many men, Quinnipiac couldn’t find the back of the net.

Quinnipiac captain Cory Hibbeler expects the Bobcats to take this as a learning experience.

“It’s something we got to learn learn from, we obviously didn’t have the intensity we wanted,” Hibbeler said.

The Bobcats will take on Yale and Brown next weekend.