Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey ties Robert Morris

The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team could not stop its opponents’ 11-game unbeaten streak Friday. The Bobcats did, however, snap Robert Morris’ seven-game win streak in a 1-1 tie at TD Bank Sports Center.

The No. 10 Bobcats (16-3-6) got their scoring from sophomore Cydney Roesler, earning her second goal on the season. For the No. 8 Colonials, Anneline Lauziere scored on the power play with less than five minutes left in the third period.

Before tonight, Quinnipiac had its opponent’s number having never lost a match in eight meetings. Last year, the Bobcats took the doubleheader, winning 2-1 the first game and 3-2 the next. In all the games played between the two teams, only two games have been decided by more than one goal.

Despite that one blemish, Bobcats goalkeeper Chelsea Laden played efficiently, recording 21 saves on the night. She has only let up one goal to her opponents’ 17 out of her 23 starts. The singular mistake kept her from another shutout, as she ranks second in the country with seven.

After two tightly contested periods of play, Quinnipiac junior Shiann Darkangelo won the faceoff and eventually fired a wrist shot at the net that was deflected by Robert Morris goalkeeper Jessica Dodds to Roesler. She squared herself up, wound up, and propelled her slap shot past Dodds low and to the right 18 seconds into the final regulation period.

The defense could ultimately not hold up and a penalty did the home team in. Quinnipiac junior Morgan Fritz-Ward was called for interference 15:04 into the final frame and soon after Lauziere scored the equalizer. Her teammate Kristen Richards received the puck at the point. Her shot deflected off several defenders and ended up in the stick of Rebecca Vint. Laden deflected her shot but the rebound was put in by Lauziere

Chances for the Bobcats were plentiful, especially in the second period when the Colonials committed four penalties. Dodds played up to par with Laden, as neither let the other team capitalize on their attempts. Quinnipiac was 0 for 6 on power plays while the Colonials went 1 for 3.

With a minute and a half left in regulation Vint was penalized for holding the opponent’s stick. The Bobcats took that power play into overtime, but to no avail. After the five-minute overtime period ended. Quinnipiac had stopped the win streak, but the Colonials improved their streak to 12 games unbeaten.

The two foes face off again Saturday at 2 p.m.