Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey upsets No. 5 Boston College

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team came into today unbeaten in the month of November. That streak was at risk when Boston College, who was also undefeated in November, came into High Point Solutions Arena riding a four-game winning streak.

The Bobcats have thrived off capitalizing on big opportunities and limiting their opponents scoring chances on the other end.

Quinnipiac was able to score a late goal in the third period, thanks to a play set up by Kelly Babstock that left Shiann Darkangelo with the opportunity to put a backhander past the glove of Boston College’s goaltender, Corrine Boyles.

That goal proved to be the game-winning goal as the Bobcats defeated Boston College 3-2, improving their record to 9-1-3 on the season.

Goaltender Chelsea Laden entered today’s game with a remarkable 0.85 GAA, which places her second in the nation. On top of that, she ranks third in save percentage at .957 and leads the nation with five shutouts.

“She’s almost invincible, she’s giving up less than a goal a game,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “She’s a rock there and hasn’t given up a bad goal all year and it gives the team a lot of confidence with that type of goaltending.”

Laden hasn’t let up more than two goals in a game and a lot of her effort has been helped from her team’s defensive performance. Getting help on the defensive end has helped Quinnipiac control the games, not having to rely on the offensive attack late in the game.

“It’s been pretty solid. When you hold a team with four lines that BC has to six and seven shots in the first two periods, that’s a pretty strong defensive performance,” Seeley said. “Our kids are getting better and better. I thought the program as a whole took a big step today.”

It was a big step indeed as Quinnipiac remains undefeated in November, and continues to grow on its best start in program history.

Darkangelo was today’s first star of the game by scoring two goals. One that helped get the Bobcats on the board and tie the game up at one with 5:24 remaining in the second period. Babstock and Meghan Turner assisted the goal where Darkangelo was able to wrap the puck around the net and sneak it past Boyles.

“When I first got the puck it was too close to shoot so I wrapped it around, and I just tried to get the puck quick on the net,” Darkangelo said.

Quinnipiac completely dominated the second period by capitalizing on multiple scoring opportunities. They were able to get an edge late in the second period after Boston College’s Haley Skarupa was called for a tripping penalty.

With 53 seconds left in the second period, captain Amanda Colin scored a power play goal on puck that she found off a rebound. The goal was her fourth of the season and gave Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.

“We always want to pick up garbage around the net and I thought Amanda did a great job of that on the second goal and then just Babs out of the corner hitting Shy for the winning goal was just a superior effort,” Seeley said.

The Bobcats were not able to add pressure on attack in the third when they started to play a defensive minded game. A double-minor checking penalty on Cydney Roesler at 10:40 in the third period swung the momentum in Boston College’s favor when Andie Anastos scored a power play goal.

Anastos’ goal tied the game up at two where the Bobcats looked like they were heading into overtime for their second consecutive game. Unlike usual, the team now needed to rely on its offense late in this match-up.

With about three minutes left in the game, Quinnipiac skated up the ice where Babstock was able to skate through a few defenders and assist Darkangelo right in front of the crease. Darkangelo’s second and game-winning goal came at 17:57 in the third period and ultimately left Boston College with little time to come back.

Darkangelo spoke after the game on how it felt to put the game-winning goal in the net and help get Quinnipiac its ninth win of the season.

“It’s really great. It was a different transition going from center to wing but when you have two good players to play with, that helps,” Darkangelo said about playing on a line with Babstock and Emma Woods this afternoon.

By defeating Boston College this afternoon, Quinnipiac is set to take on the Univ. of New Hampshire tomorrow at 3 p.m. in another home matchup at the High Point Solutions Arena.