Quinnipiac women’s volleyball drops sixth straight

It was a game that brought back old memories for the Quinnipiac women’s volleyball program.

The Bobcats were reunited with their former Northeast Conference rival, Bryant, in a non-conference matchup. Yet, Quinnipiac was unable to attain the victory in Wednesday night’s contest, marking their all-time series record vs. Bryant at 0-11. The Bobcats dropped the matchup to the Bulldogs (25-22, 25-19, 25-20), 3-0, in their final non-conference game of the 2013 season.

“We hit a wall and we just got to get out from that. Last couple of games have been rough for us, we haven’t been playing like we could be playing,” Quinnipiac head coach Kristopher Czaplinksi said. “We just got to go back to practice, work on the fundamentals and we’ll get out of it for our next match this weekend.”

There wasn’t much high points in Wednesday night’s loss as Quinnipiac hit just .071 as a team. It is important to note that senior Logan Riker has recorded at least 10 digs in eight of her last nine matches.

Freshman Emma Ogden continued to tally up her assist total, adding 26 as well as four digs and three block assists. Freshman Allison Leigh had another solid outing as she knocked down seven kills to go along with two blocks.

Quinnipiac possessed an early lead in the third set, by going on a four-point run to make it 6-2. Bryant responded to the quick start by going on a four-point run of its own to tie the set up at six apiece. The match set was back and forth as both teams found their strides but Bryant ultimately regained the lead and never looked back.

After Bryant went up 22-16 later in the set, Quinnipiac was only able to cut the deficit to three by a score of 23-20, thanks to junior Tanner Celestin, who had a set-high of four kills. It wound up being too late as the Bulldogs prevented the Bobcats from going on a run late in the match.

It was a sloppy game on Quinnipiac’s end, as errors seemed to eliminate a lot of opportunities for the Bobcats offensive attack. The teams errors totaled to 22, compared to Bryant’s 14.

“If we can just play our game every single point, we’re not going to have any issues, but it’s very hard with a young team to make sure their on the same page the whole time,” Czaplinski said.

Quinnipiac is slated to play at Fairfield on Oct. 26 at 1 p.m.