Post office extends hours

The Carl Hansen Student Center post office extended their hours this week and last week due to high demands and to improve service to the university community, Associate Vice President of Public Relations John Morgan said.

From Monday, Sept. 9 to Thursday, Sept. 12, the post office will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Last Thursday and Friday, the post office opened earlier and closed later. The post office also stayed open this past weekend.

Within the first few weeks of classes, the post office on the Mount Carmel campus was busier than usual, with the line sometimes extending to the Mount Carmel Dining Hall.

“It’s ridiculous,” sophomore Jennifer Peraza said. “Why does there have to be a long line? They should have more people working or something because people are trying to get from one place to another and they can’t because the line has so much commotion.”

The university also has other mailing services such as the Rocky Top Student Center Post Office and the Mail Service Center.

The Rocky Top Post Office caters to the students living on the York Hill campus. There, students have access to assigned mailboxes and delivered packages, alleviating some of the pressure for the Carl Hansen Post Office.

Next week, the Mount Carmel campus post office will determine if the extended hours will remain in effect for the remainder of the academic year, according to Morgan.