WQAQ hosts tenth annual Battle of the Bands

Quinnipiac’s WQAQ sponsored its tenth annual Battle of the Bands on Saturday night which showcased original local music. Eleven bands competed for cash prizes and a chance to perform at WQAQ’s Spring Concert in April.

The three winning bands, Zoocore, More Equal Than Others and Waiting for Sully, were each given cash prizes, while Zoocore will get to perform at the Spring Concert.

Doors for the event opened at 7 p.m. The first band started 20 minutes later. There were free CD’s, posters, stickers, WQAQ t-shirts and pizza for all who attended courtesy of WQAQ and Exile on Main Street. Hosting the event was alumni Steve Kistner who began the evening by telling everyone where they could smoke marijuana.

Following his comedic opening, he introduced the five judges. Two of the judges were members from the band Camera Shy Paparazzi who won the Battle of the Bands in 2003: guitar player/singer Dave Blanchard and singer Craig Castagna. Assistant Director of the Student Center and Leadership Development Scott Hazan was also on the panel of judges, along with two others who were Quinnipiac alumni.

Each band was to play two songs in front of the judges who gave them each a score. The real judges were the audience members, who had different reactions for each band.

Kicking off the event was band Hate to Have to Go Back who brought a rich punk sound. The crowd all moved as close to the stage as they could when the first chord was played. After two songs, the band left stage and host Kistner came out again.

Following Hate, was band Quarter Life Crisis who changed the mood in Alumni Hall by providing the audience with an easy listening acoustic sound.

Next on stage was band Mike Patrick and the Whiz Bang Gang who sang about a boy who dreams of rock n’ roll. This band rocked the house when they included a harmonica in their unique, original sound. The crowd began to fill up the small hall as they enjoyed their two songs.

After Mike Patrick walked off stage, band The Hollow Sound performed, receiving mixed audience reviews. The lead vocalist asked her audience to clap to the beat, which barely anyone did. The female vocals did not go with the metal sound her band produced. The audience seemed to all but disappear as they performed her two songs.

Open Mic Night’s participants proved diverse and unique, but judges clearly favored Zoocore, who was the winner of Saturday night’s event and will be playing in the spring for WQAQ’s annual concert.