New Year’s Resolutions: How’s that going for you?

Every year many people make a promise to themselves, a promise to do something that they have not been able to do in the past. New Year ‘s resolutions are a great way for people to motivate themselves and achieve their goals.

According to GoalsGuy.com the top ten New Year resolutions are to lose weight, stop smoking, stick to a budget, save or earn money, find a better job, become more organized, exercise more, be more patient at work or with others, eat better and become a better person.

For some the concept seems easy, but others find it hard to keep their resolutions, especially students. Between classes and work it can be hard for students to find the extra time to squeeze in the effort needed to keep resolutions.

“For my New Year’s resolution I decided to go to the gym and work out,” junior accounting major, Rich DeVoe, said. “I have been going steadily since I got back to school, but I know it is going to be hard to do that once I get farther into the semester and the work starts to pile up,” DeVoe said.

Other students are making sure that this semester’s work is what they will improve on.

“My goal is to do better in my classes this semester,” junior pre-med student, Robert Bloise, said.

“What I am doing different this semester is I am doing more of my work right after I get out of class rather than waiting until night to do it, and it is really making a difference,” Bloise said.

Even though it is still early in the year, some students are seeing the positive results of their new resolutions.

“This year I decided I wanted to work on becoming a better person,” junior, Victoria Johnson said.

“I told myself that I would have to make friends with someone in each of my classes that I did not already know, and I have done that. Not only does it make it easier to get through class having someone to talk to, but since I am getting further into the MAT program this is a good way for me to meet the people I will be with in most of my classes,” Johnson said.

“I am healthier since I started working out, after I go to the gym I have so much energy, and sometimes that makes it easier for me to get through my day,” DeVoe said.

While it can be hard to keep your resolutions, especially with a hectic course schedule, GoalGuy.com offers some tips for achieving your goals.

According to the Web site says it is important to make sure you write down your goal so you know exactly what you are going for. Be sure to identify any obstacles or risk, this way there is nothing to get in the way of you and your resolution. A support team of people who you know will help keep you on point is suggested for times when you think you might be getting off track. Lastly it says not to forget to reward yourself when you achieve something. This will make you want to stick with your resolution longer.

So when the going gets tough this year, take a deep breath and remember these tips to help you keep your New Year’s Resolution.