Usher leads nominees at American Music Awards

Popular music fans are set to begin the awards season with the 32nd annual American Music Awards scheduled to air this Sunday at 8 p.m., bringing plenty of awards and performances to keep any music fan content. Last year’s host Jimmy Kimmel returns to lead the show. Through polling, nearly 20,000 American record buyers decided who will walk away with an award this Sunday.

While the public determines who wins, the nominees were compiled from album-sales trackers SoundScan and the trade publication Radio & Records.

Usher is saying “Yeah!” as he leads the pack with four nominations for Favorite Male Artist-Pop or Rock, Favorite Album for “Confessions” in both the Pop/Rock genre and Rhythm & Blues. Competing with Usher for Favorite Male Artist-Pop or Rock are Josh Groban, Lenny Kravitz, and Michael McDonald.

The Favorite Female Artist category places three strong artists, Sheryl Crow, Avril Lavigne, and Jessica Simpson, head to head.

For the Rhythm & Blues genre, the Favorite Female Artist award is a toss up. Nominees Beyonce, Janet Jackson and Alicia Keys are all strong icons in the music industry, but Beyonce may have the edge as she grabbed five Grammys back in February. Favorite Male Artist pits relatively new artist Ruben Studdard against established artists R. Kelly, Usher and the legendary Prince.

Country music lovers will watch as Kenny Chesney’s “When the Sun Goes Down,” Toby Keith’s “Shock’n Y’all” and Martina McBride’s “Martina” vie for Favorite Album-Country. Those more on the Alternative-rock side can see whether Incubus, Jet, or Linkin Park win the Favorite Artist-Alternative award.

In the Rap/Hip Hop genre, Outkast is likely to take home at least one award, as they are nominated for both Favorite Band, Duo, or Group and Favorite Album (“Speakerboxxx/The Love Below”). Outkast’s competition includes Jay-Z with “The Black Album” and Kanye West’s “The College Dropout.

Favorite New Artist nominees are an eclectic mix. Alternative-rock group Maroon 5, rapper Kanye West and country artist Gretchen Wilson are vying for this award, and will also perform during the awards show. Other performers include Alicia Keys, Usher, John Mayer and Jessica Simpson. and Kenny Chesney.

With 10 additional performances and plenty more awards to hand out, the American Music Awards look to be a show worth tuning into this Sunday night.