Cameras reduce inhibitions

Everyone who has ever watched cable television late at night has probably one time or another seen commercials for the “Girls Gone Wild” series of videos and DVDs. This series sells their videos with the tag line, “What if you could travel the country and find the hottest girls just waiting to show you how wild they can get?”

It seems that where ever there is a camera, girls are willing and waiting to be filmed. At Toad’s Place in New Haven, girls getting down and dirty on the dance floor are projected onto screens throughout the club.

Also, walking through the club is someone from www.drunks.com with his camera waiting to spot action that he can put up on the website. These girls are confident, know they look good, and want to be seen.

Women have been trying to show themselves off for years.

The Howard Stern Show and MTV’s True Life series have featured women who want to pose for Playboy Magazine, so what is it about the camera that brings out the wild confident side of these girls?

“It’s definitely a confidence issue. Girls want to feel sexy and good about themselves” sophomore Allie Finnegan, business major, said, “At clubs we get positive attention when we are out there having fun and being a little crazy, and that would make anyone have a good time.”

For fifty years Playboy Magazine has been publishing pictures of women posing nude. Some people cannot see why anyone would want to do this, yet there are many women out there who are doing anything they can to get into this magazine.

For many of the models it is the fact that millions of people will see them that brings out the allure of Playboy. June 1998’s Playmate of the month Heather Kozar was quoted on her official website as saying, “I feel by posing for Playboy I’ve discovered my own sexuality and beauty, and I feel more confident than ever.”

Not all women advocate showing off for the cameras, some simply justify them.

“If guys can go out to clubs and be all macho and do the things they do to get attention why can’t girls do the same thing?” Victoria Johnson said, sophomore sociology major.

“As long as girls aren’t being taken advantage of I really see no problem with being wild for the cameras,” said Finnegan.

So although it may seem like an unconventional method of gaining confidence, it just might be what someone needs to feel good about themselves.