Baseball falters against Duke

The Quinnipiac baseball team fell hard to Duke University on Wednesday night, dropping their final tune-up before they head to Myrtle Beach, 15-2. The Bobcats (4-4) could have used the likes of Nuke Laloosh as they were manhandled by the Blue Devils (10-7) at Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, N.C.

After nearly knocking off a nationally ranked opponent just on Tuesday, the Bobcats lost their fourth game of the season in tough fashion.

Quinnipiac was on the board first after junior Nic Civale scored on an error in the opening frame, but Duke struck right back in the bottom half of the inning. The Blue Devils never looked back after the first, scoring 15 unanswered runs en route to the blowout.

Bobcats starting pitcher George Dummar lasted just 1.1 innings, allowing just one hit but walking five. Quinnipiac couldn’t find anyone capable of stopping the high-powered Duke offense, as the four relief pitchers combined to give up 12 runs, seven earned, over the final 6.2 innings.

The Bobcats mustered eight hits on the night, with Civale leading the way with two. Junior Zak Palmer drove in the other run for Quinnipiac when hit into a fielder’s choice that scored Forest Dwyer in the eighth inning.

Both teams made three errors, but Quinnipiac’s proved to be more costly. Duke took advantage to the tune of five unearned runs.

Quinnipiac will get a day off before the start of the Chanticleer Classic. The Bobcats will take on Akron on March 15 at 12 p.m.