TKE continues philanthropic efforts

Each year the members of Tau Kappa Epsilon try to hold at least 12 educational or charitable activities. Being one of Quinnipiac’s few Greek programs, they have worked since 1967 to shed the fraternity stereotypes and brought a new social aspect to the school.
    “Joining the fraternity teaches you discipline and how to survive in the real world,” TKE member Jimmy Stewart said.
    According to Stewart, he has seen the effects of this discipline in the past year with a significant increase in his GPA.
    Events like the blood drive for the Red Cross and the Alzheimer’s walk keep the 42 active members of the TKE chapter busy. They are also involved with Special Olympics all year round, including soccer, basketball and football.
    The organization has also held many educational activities for students throughout the semester, including a drinking and driving speaker Mark Sturner and assisting with the SADD mock car crash.
    “Our national philanthropy is the Ronald Regan Alzheimers foundation because he is also a TKE,” Stewart said. “Just last month we had a fundraiser that raised close to $5,000. It was one of the largest fundraisers for the fund in the past few years.”
    Next semester TKE hopes to expand their fraternity with more new members.
    According to TKE member Javier Rodriguez, their main goal around the Quinnipiac community is to “establish a good name for and help out everyone that we can.”
    Since 1899 TKE has grown to 270 active collegiate chapters and colonies throughout America and Canada.