Men’s ice hockey notches 14th conference win

After defeating Cornell 4-1 on Friday night, Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey traveled to Colgate on Saturday and continued their winning ways by downing the Raiders 3-2, while also clinching a first round bye in the ECAC Tournament. Kellen Jones paced the Bobcat offense by scoring twice on the night.

The first came with 6:16 left in the first period with the assists coming from twin brother, Connor Jones. Zack Currie stopped the puck in the neutral zone, later chipping it ahead to Connor. Connor and Kellen then skated to a 2-on-1 into the Colgate end, when Connor dropped a pass into the slot to Kellen, who went top right shoulder over Colgate goalie Spencer Finney.

The second Quinnipiac goal came from freshman Soren Jonzzon with less than four minutes left in the second period. Tied 1-1, Jonzzon received a pass in the slot from Cory Hibbeler, before he one-timing the puck into the back of the net for his first goal of the season to give the Bobcats a 2-1 edge. Kevin Bui was credited with an assist.

The third goal, which extended the Quinnipiac lead to 3-1, came on 3:45 into the third period when Kellen Jones scored his second goal of the night, this time assisted by Matthew Peca.

“It wasn’t our best effort, but we found a way to win tonight,” Quinnipiac coach Rand Pecknold said afterwards. “It was a great weekend, at Cornell and at Colgate, and we got four points.”

Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell picked up two wins on the weekend, rendering him 21-2-4 on the season. He followed a 24-save effort on Friday with 17 saves on Saturday, and leads all goalies in the nation in wins.

The Bobcats, who remain at No. 1 in the Pairwise rankings and No. 2 nationally, look to keep their 21-game streak without a loss alive on next Friday night when they host St. Lawrence. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.