Q & A set for tomorrow with former Costa Rican President

Doctor Oscar Arias, former President of Costa Rica and 1987 Nobel Peace Prize winner, will be conducting a question and answer session tomorrow at 11 a.m. This follows his speech to Quinnipiac students last night in Alumni Hall.

Arias will be answering questions from students about his speech, which was delivered to the Quinnipiac student body on the Peace Dividend. The event was sponsored by the Albert Schweitzer Institute and the Latin American Studies.

David Ives, director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute, feels this lecture is important because of Arias’ knowledge of peacekeeping.

“An interesting fact that Dr. Arias emphasizes is his desire for peace around the world as well as a controlled spread of small arms,” Ives said. “He has seen that more people have been killed per capita than war in support of peace treaties.”

Ives feels that Arias’ lecture is a beneficial and inspirational presentation for students to attend.

“There is little opportunity for students to ever see a past president, a head of state, and a possible future head of state, as well as a Nobel Peace Prize Winner, all in one,” he said.

Ives also feels the topics that Arias will cover tomorrow are especially relevant considering the current state of the United States.

“He presents good ideas for the U.S. in Iraq and for improvement of poor countries,” he said. “It’d be a good idea for students to hear his thoughts and be a part of his advancements towards peace. He is truly an inspiring role model and man.”

Arias was born in 1940 in Costa Rica, and studied economics and law at the University of Costa Rica. Arias has served as the Costa Rican minister of planning and economic policy, had a seat in the Costa Rican Congress, and as the secretary-general of the Natural Libertarian Party.

He was elected as President of Costa Rica in 1986. Shortly after, in 1987, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in part because of his peace plan aimed at ending regional crisis. For more information regarding Dr. Arias students are encouraged to visit www.quinnipiac.edu.