Costumes and candy

As children, we looked forward to Halloween for weeks beforehand. We picked out a Halloween costume, and were excited to wear it and go door to door, yelling “trick or treat!” and collecting candy. As college students, we still look forward to Halloween, and sometimes even to dressing up. Though college students are too old to go trick-or-treating, there are still many fun and entertaining things to do on Halloween.

Many students dress up in costumes and go to parties on or off campus to celebrate Halloween. This is a popular option among Quinnipiac students, particularly because this year, Halloween falls on a Friday.

There are also many other events going on around campus on or around Halloween to celebrate the holiday. Saturday, Oct. 25, the Suites and Complex hosted an Octoberfest celebration, which included pumpkin painting, free food, music, and games. It was held in the Complex courtyard.

SPB hosted a trip on Oct. 25 to Frightfest at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachussetts, which included the “Trail of Terror”, a haunted maze; “Fearanoia”, a spooky game of survival; and “Houdini’s Ghost Town.” Frightfest will run until the closing of the Six Flags season on Nov. 2.

QU After Dark held Fall Festivities on Oct. 25 from 10-1, which featured candy apples, cider, and pumpkin painting. On the 25th, Community Action Project sponsored an event for area children to go trick-or-treating door to door within the dorms and get candy.

On Sunday, Oct. 26, there was a Halloween Lecture by Dr. Jack Levin called “Overkill- Serial Murder Exposed,” where he discusses many renowned serial killers including Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and John Wayne Gacy.

Tonight, there will be a costume contest and pool tournament held in the Game Room from 6-8 p.m.

Tomorrow night, “Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2” will be playing at 10 p.m. in Buckman Theater for those who like to watch horror movies on Halloween.

Aside from the activities on campus, there are many other things to do on and around Halloween. Students may decide to attend or host a Halloween costume party, and judge who is wearing the most creative and inventive costume.

Other students go off campus to theme parks like Frightfest at Six Flags New England. Another area amusement park is Lake Compounce, in Bristol, CT. They have a Haunted Graveyard, which will be open Halloween week from Thursday, Oct. 30 through Saturday, Nov. 1.

The Haunted Graveyard features a “Spider’s Lair”, “Temple of Gloom”, and is “packed with zombies, witches, and ghouls,” according to Lake Compounce’s website. The rest of the park will also be open on Friday and Saturday and includes roller coasters and other classic amusement park rides. For more information visit www.lakecompounce.com.

In Wallingford, CT, at PNA Park, there is a “Trail of Terror” which will be open Halloween weekend from Oct. 30 through Nov. 1. More information is available on www.trailofterror.com.