QU to offer new frat

This spring a new fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, will be joining Quinnipiac’s Greek community.

The nation’s largest fraternity will be starting its newest chapter here in April and Quinnipiac students will add to the almost 1500 undergraduates that belong to this fraternity.

Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded in 1901 and is one of the fastest growing fraternities in the country. According to Cory Adams, the director of new chapter recruitment for Sigma Phi Epsilon, it was founded in “virtue, diligence, and brotherly love.”

Since that time it has tried to set itself apart from the usual fraternity and has succeeded by having the highest overall GPA as a fraternity and the only national fraternity that has no membership clause.

“There are no qualifications based on race or ethnicity,” Adams said. The fraternity tries to “model real life” where you cannot control who you will encounter said Adams.

When Sigma Phi Epsilon is on campus this spring there will be no recruiting for the new chapter.

“When we start a chapter like this we only go through referrals and recommendations,” Adams said.

After the application and interviewing processes are finished, those who are extended membership will be full members from day one of the fraternity to eliminate pledging.

Sigma Phi Epsilon holds high standards for members of their fraternities. While the University requires students to uphold a 2.0 GPA in order to have membership of a fraternity or sorority, Sigma Phi Epsilon requires a 3.0 GPA.

According to Adams, “[new members must] have a desire to be a part of something different and have an entrepreneurial spirit. We plan to demolish the frat boy image.”

This fraternity does not consider itself a social club, but rather, “about broadening your horizons, which is what college is all about,” Adams said.

He also said Sigma Phi Epsilon is “redefining fun. Our guys will have fun and that is what college is all about,” but they are involved in activities that will also benefit the community.

The fraternity was founded to help prepare its members for their future.

“This is a four year continuous personal and professional program to prepare them for life in the real world,” said Adams.

Because there is no pledging, there is no Big Brother/ Little Brother program within the fraternity. Sigma Phi Epsilon has developed a mentoring program in which each year the members receive a new, elder mentor. Come senior year the mentors must be Sigma Phi Epsilon alumni.

Those who are accepted this year to Sigma Phi Epsilon will be the founding father of this chapter. This is quite an honor, which is only given to about 1 percent of college students.

The amount of members accepted varies depending upon the school and who makes the criteria. For Quinnipiac, Adams estimated about 30-40 new members.

“They’ll be innovative, intelligent, not the typical frat boy,” Adams said.