Grad student looks to help Quinnipiac’s next generation

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has taken on a new Graduate Assistant beginning this year.

Domenic Pizzo, a graduate student studying e-media, has been named to the position after working in the office during his four years as an undergraduate.

Pizzo first started working in the office in September of 1999, during his freshman year, as part of the work-study program. In addition to giving tours, he also sorted incoming mail, answered telephones, and filed transcripts and applications.

Pizzo worked in the Admissions office throughout his four years as an undergraduate. He felt his job as a tour guide served him well in his studies because it allowed him to be more comfortable speaking in front of large groups of people.

“Because I was a Mass Communications major, I thought one of the best things for me was to become a tour guide,” he said.

With his new position comes added responsibility.

“My position is Graduate Assistant, where I will be giving interviews, conducting information sessions, and helping out the other student workers,” Pizzo said.

Pizzo also enjoys the position because he remembers when he was in the same position as the prospective students he is now helping out.

“I was that student five years ago that was mesmerized by the tour,” he said. “Now it’s great to go back and help prospective students.”

Pizzo admits that at first he found the transition from undergraduate student-worker to graduate Assistant a little difficult at first because he was working side by side with is former bosses.

“It is a weird to go from being a student-worker to going to the other side of the desk,” he said. “It’s like I did a 180 degree turn.”

According to Pizzo, everything just fell into place after he contacted Director of Admissions Joan Isaac Moore. Pizzo felt his experience was important in him obtaining his new position.

“I felt like I had so much experience, and it all just fell into place,” he said. “This will also further my people skills for when I hit the ‘real world.’ I will definitely help out my leadership skills.”

In addition to holding a BA in Mass Communications, Pizzo is pursuing his Masters in emedia.

“I took some e-media classes during my senior year, and I really enjoyed them,” he said. “So I just went with it, especially considering how the job market is.”

Pizzo is set to receive that in just one year and then begin his career. He has already begun to think about where he would like to be this time next year.

“I hope to get involved with web design and publishing,” he said. “I would like to start at a small company.”