Quinnipiac closes as Connecticut braces for Hurricane Sandy

As Hurricane Sandy bears down on the Connecticut shoreline, Quinnipiac University is taking action.

[media-credit id=1532 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Governor Dannel Malloy declared a state of emergency on Saturday afternoon, and Quinnipiac followed suit in the evening.

The University will close beginning at 5 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 29 and will remain closed through Tuesday, Oct. 30. Classes and events are canceled, and all campus offices will be closed during this time.

All residence halls will remain open, as well as the student centers and dining halls on the Mount Carmel and York Hill campuses. The North Haven Campus will be closed throughout the storm.

Public Safety and Student Health Services will have additional staff available. The university’s shuttles will have service to Union Station in New Haven between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Sunday afternoon. The shuttles to the York Hill Campus will run until 10 p.m. on Sunday evening.

Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane, is projected to make landfall between Maryland and Connecticut, according to the National Weather Service. Fairfield County, Bridgeport, East Haven and Old Saybrook have all issued mandatory evacuations, beginning at 12 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.

Stay with the Quinnipiac Chronicle for more information throughout Hurricane Sandy.