Students struck with spring fever

The sun is shining, music is playing, people are participating in games of Frisbee and lying out on towels, trying to get a tan. No, it’s not the beach in Cancun, it’s the quad in Connecticut.

After an abnormally long, snowy winter, signs of spring are finally beginning to arrive. Recently, we have experienced several days with temperature reaching the 80?s, causing many Quinnipiac students to get a case of spring fever and want to spend as much time as possible outdoors.

Some students prefer athletic activities on days like these, engaging in softball or Frisbee games, or even hiking up the Sleeping Giant, while others prefer something more relaxing, such as eating lunch, reading, or studying on the quad, or just tanning in the sun.

On a warm day, it is common to see people everywhere across campus. On the quad, many students toss footballs around or organize small baseball games. Other students choose to go running or walking. The benches and grass are littered with students who are eating lunch, socializing, reading, or tanning.

Freshman Danielle Mooers recently took advantage of a sunny day and went hiking with some friends at Sleeping Giant State park. After climbing to the top of the mountain, they were able to relax for awhile and enjoy the view.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Mooers. “The view was beautiful. We were able to see the entire campus from the top.”

Students may be enjoying the warm days more this year than in past years because so far, the nice days have been few and far between.

“This warm weather has been great and definitely well-deserved,” said freshman Jennifer Pescik. “After the long winter we’ve had, it’s such a relief to finally see the true beauty of Quinnipiac and to take time out of our busy schedules to enjoy all that the campus has to offer.?

Unfortunately, sometimes enjoying the warm weather comes at the expense of students skipping their classes.

Freshman Lauren Franco said, “It’s a good thing I don’t go to school somewhere where it is always warm, I would never go to class!” Franco confessed that she skipped two classes on warm days to lie out in the sun instead.

As we approach the end of a long, stressful semester, and finals are quickly approaching, relaxing outside proves to be a relaxing break from the rigors of academia. “Relaxing under the sun on the quad is just what we need before finals week,” said Pescik. “The timing of this weather couldn’t be better.”

Franco agrees that many students are benefiting from spending time outside when the weather is warm. She said, “The weather definitely took away a lot of the stress from my classes.”