Dudra seeks re-election

Student Government elections are just around the corner. So what does that have to do with you? The answer is everything.

The Student Government Association (SGA) is made of dedicated members of your student body who work together to make QU a better place for its students. SGA is composed of 5 committees.

Our Public Relations committee plans the May Weekend Semi Formal and gets publicity together to show what SGA is working on. SPB, our Student Programming Board, plans events every weekend on this campus. They brought you the 112 concert, the Real World, and are presently planning our May Weekend festivities.

Our Student Awareness committee handles your student concerns and acts as liaisons to the administration. Our Finance committee allocates 500,000 dollars to student organizations each year and handles the budget.

This year, I’ve also created the President and Vice President committee so each class could come together and have round table discussions every other week. Each cabinet runs class programs, focuses on issues related to their class, and acts as a voice of the students they represent.

SGA has formed Ad Hoc committees to look into larger issues. We have past resolutions regarding study dates, vending machines in the college of liberal arts, and will soon be passing a resolution asking for a larger student center.

In the past year, our ties with administration have grown. We have participated in planning Midnight Madness and are actively working with athletics to get a DJ for next year’s festivities. Various SGA members have participated in focus groups regarding food and campus polices to benefit all students at Quinnipiac.

There are members of our organization attending various meetings across campus. We have two voting members sitting on the Board of Trustees. We are attending Faculty Senate meetings and making large strides to bring the faculty and students together to share ideas and keep the students informed of their efforts. As a result, we have been invited to subcommittee meetings and can be found at various events put on throughout the semester.

Our ties with the administration have grown, resulting in various administrative guests to our Wednesday meetings. President Lahey and Dean of Students Manny Carreiro attended our meeting last week and spoke of Quinnipiac’s strategic plan and listened to our meeting full of student concerns, reports, and budget requests.

As President of this organization, I’m very proud of the time and commitment of its members. We have focused on the problems, found solutions, and have grown in strength as an organization. These strides can do great things for our future.

As your President, I have been the voice of Quinnipiac’s student population. I will continue to fight for what students want and encourage you to vote in the election on Wednesday. Keep our momentum going and elect the students who can best represent you. Good luck to all of the candidates.