Students support Robin Roberts’ battle with MDS

Students gathered on the Arnold Bernhard Library steps on Sept. 25 holding posters with four words: light, love, power and presence.

[media-credit name=”Photo Courtesy Jamie Deloma” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

The slogan showed support for ABC’s “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts’ battle with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).

Roberts left her anchor position when she was diagnosed with MDS in June. MDS is a disease that affects the body’s ability to form healthy cells and creates abnormal cells in bone marrow. Recently, Roberts received a bone marrow transplant from her sister to help combat the disease.

The idea to take a picture to support Roberts’ next step in her battle against the disease relates to a picture that was shown on “Good Morning America” last Tuesday morning. The picture presented a group of Harvard students holding a sign that said: “Harvard stands with Team Robin.”

This became a challenge for other universities around the country to do the same so that “Good Morning America” could create a special surprise for Roberts.

This challenge was taken on by freshman Rebecca Castagna, who decided to organize the event that same morning.

“It’s funny because it only started that morning and by six o’clock she made it happen,” Assistant Director of Student Media Lila Carney said.

Through the use of email, Facebook and Twitter, the event began to take shape.

More than 40 students, many from various student media groups, gathered on the steps of the Arnold Bernhard Library to take part in the picture.

“I think that the media students feel a connection to Robin because we all work in media,” Carney said. “She is one of those icons and role models for the students.”

Roberts came to Quinnipiac last spring, Carney said, as another motivating factor for some to take part.

The picture, which served as support for Roberts, also served as a way to raise awareness for a disease that nearly 15 thousand Americans are diagnosed with each year, according to statistics from the National Marrow Donor Program.

“Even if it got one student to go to their room and Google what MDS is, I think that it was a success,” Carney said.