Study abroad to feature new opportunities

Students may be able to study their majors abroad and better communicate with people from home with new study abroad opportunities in the 2013-2014 academic year, according to Director for Global Education Andrea Hogan.

The Office of Multicultural and Global Education (OMGE) is currently testing new ideas for this coming semester, which could lead to developments for students who wish to study abroad in the 2013-2014 academic year.

“In the Spring 2013 semester, we are piloting an online QU 301 course with about 10 students,” Hogan said. “Quinnipiac students who are traveling abroad can connect back to the university and incorporate their experiences with their class. We are also trying to design courses for students to take in their majors while abroad.”

Students who decide to study abroad have the chance to spend an extended amount of time gaining academic and life experience in a different environment.

Quinnipiac offers a full year or one semester abroad at an international institution, or a term abroad in the summer or January. The study abroad program includes various cities in South America, Asia, Europe, Africa and other countries.

“We have agreements with study abroad affiliates in almost any country,” Hogan said. “We also have an exchange agreement for two business students with a university in Rennes, France, as well as programs designed by QU in University College Cork in Ireland.”

Hogan said that many students feel that they cannot study abroad if they haven’t saved up their elective credits, which is something the OMGE wants to change. In the near future, it hopes to offer the option to take courses that would count for credit specifically towards students’ majors.

In addition to the study abroad program, the Albert Schweitzer Institute sponsors a humanitarian service trip over the spring and winter breaks. Students have traveled to Nicaragua and Barbados to build classrooms, provide training and teaching, and strengthen communities in need.

Certain QU 301 courses enable students to travel abroad for one to four weeks as well. In the Spring 2013 semester, a special program will be offered in Costa Rica where students can spend a semester abroad, while incorporating a QU 301 course and a trip to Nicaragua through the Albert Schweitzer Institute.

Students can apply to study abroad beginning in the first semester of their sophomore year at Quinnipiac.

“Next semester, I will be studying abroad in Florence, Italy,” junior Jenna Pederson said. “Doing something like this is so out of my comfort zone, but I decided to just go for it. I am beyond excited now.”

Though studying abroad is an exciting opportunity for many students, it is essential to submit the applications far in advance.

“It’s important for students to realize that the deadline for acceptance for the Spring 2013 semester is on Oct. 15,” Hogan said. “That means that all of the leg-work has to have been done already, and the application completed. By this time, it may be too late to apply for the spring semester.”

Studying abroad also gives students the chance to take courses that are not available at Quinnipiac.

Marina Dugan, who spent the spring semester of her sophomore year studying at the University College Cork in Ireland, took a World War II history class where she learned about the war in a new light.

“We always see the perspective from the American side, and I was able to learn the perspective from the Irish side,” Dugan said. “They are really close geographically to Europe, so it’s different than what we learn here. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Students who are still in the planning process also look with excitement on the chance to study abroad.

“I already know that traveling abroad will be the time of my life,” Pederson said. “I cannot wait to go to new places, make new friends and grow as a person.”