Quinnipiac field hockey holds on, beats Brown

[media-credit id=1459 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]When Quinnipiac field hockey head coach Becca Main scouted Brown’s defensive setups on corner opportunities, she noticed the Bears would always have different looks. Instead of waiting for the one chance, the Bobcats made the right adjustments.

Christa Romano scored in the 54th minute off a penalty corner and the Bobcats hung on to beat the Bears, 3-2, Wednesday at Quinnipiac Field Hockey & Lacrosse Turf Complex.

“They put a little bit of a panic in us because it wasn’t what we were prepared for,” said Main, whose team had 12 corners in the game. “They made the adjustment, it took a while, and I think that’s why we had so many corners … When you get to the field, all bets are off and you have to go from there.”

Danielle Allan scored her third goal of the season since returning from injury and freshman Haley Swartz scored her first-career goal for the Bobcats (6-4), who play at Harvard on Sunday.

With the Bobcats up 2-1 and on the corner, Romano found Emily Vandeputte on the near side. Vandeputte found Amanda Danziger, whose shot deflected off Romano’s stick in front of the left post past Brown goalkeeper Shannon McSweeney for a 3-1 lead.

“Amanda has been right on target with her cross balls,” said Romano, who scored her second goal in three games. “It was a good hard ball, just sort of stuck my stick in and hoped for the best to go in, which is the job of any post player.”

After Brown (2-5) cut the lead to 3-2 in the 57th minute, the Bobcats prevented the Bears from reaching the back of the net again, holding on for their second straight win.

“We just sticked into what we know, what we’re good at and just playing good, smart, strong defense,” Romano said.

Five of the Bobcats’ 10 games have played in have been decided by one goal, and four have been decided by two goals.

“It’s really nice this year to be in every single game, all 10 games up until now,” Main said.

Allan, who missed the team’s first four games to injury, scored her third goal of the year since returning to the lineup in the first half. McSweeney deflected a shot by Danziger, but the rebound went right to Allan, who tapped the ball inside the left post in the seventh minute.

“You want to pretend when somebody like that is injured that it’s no big deal, it’s just one player and you can replace that player, but when she comes in and has that mentality … she could be at any level,” Main said.

Brown tied the game at 1 in the 13th minute, but Swartz was able to break the tie off a pass from Jennalise Taylor. Taylor swerved past two defenders before finding an alley and finding Swartz, who beat McSweeney’s save attempt.

Quinnipiac goalkeepers Nicole Lewis and Megan Conaboy combined to make four saves on the afternoon, while McSweeney recorded three.

Clayton Christus and Alexis Miller both scored for Brown.