Mayor of Hamden visits Quinnipiac

Mayor Jackson expressed the importance of voting, education and relationships students have with Hamden residents.

The mayor mentioned the presidential elections and the role he takes in it.

“One of the things that I try to do at the end of the day, every day, is to not be on the wrong side of history,” Mayor Jackson said, “As you build this institution here, what I would challenge you to do is to push the institution in ways that bring it to the right side of history.”

The mayor added that the reason he votes is for the future of his two young sons.

“I vote so that there is some movement toward a world that’s going to be better for them than it was for me,” he said.

The mayor explained how Hamden thrives off of the charitable efforts of its residents, stating that up to 300 volunteer on boards and commissions in the town.

When an audience member asked how Quinnipiac students could follow suit by volunteering their time in the Hamden community, Mayor Jackson backpedaled to discuss neighborhood friction between the residents of Hamden and Quinnipiac students.

“When you are trying to get your child out the door to daycare at eight in the morning, having students next door who are partying until two in the morning – it just doesn’t work,” Jackson said.

He suggested students might contribute to the town by simply being more aware of their surroundings and physical space.

When asked about the strengths and weaknesses of the education system in Hamden, Mayor Jackson spoke about the diversity of the town’s community and how this factor serves as both a benefit and a burden.

“The education system is tremendous,” he said, “But there are many things to overcome when you have a truly diverse community. Diverse socially, diverse by language, diverse economically…we have challenges, and the question is how do you effectively address those challenges.”

Mayor Scott Jackson is a lifelong resident of Hamden, and expressed the passion and warmth he feels for this specific community and town on more than one occasion during the discussion.

“Being mayor is really kind of a pain in the neck,” he said. “I work hard every day, and I do my best, and at the end of it, I’m gonna leave this town better than when I came in. But I don’t like being mayor.”

Mayor Scott Jackson did acknowledge that he believes in public service and stated that he does not regret running for the job.

Scott Jackson served as Chief Administrative Officer for the Town of Hamden under the previous mayor, Craig Henrici. Prior to that he managed the Town’s Office of Housing and Neighborhood Development. Earlier in his career, Mayor Scott Jackson served as the Project Manager and Technical Director for the Connecticut Policy and Economic Council. He has also worked in various capacities in Senator Joseph Lieberman’s State Office.