Dance Co. attracts new members

Sarah Sztuk

Staff Writer

Students who did not make the Dance Company last semester were given another opportunity to make it into the company this semester.

On Sunday, Feb. 26, the Dance Company opened up auditions for the second semester. They were looking for dancers that could follow routines, exhibit technique, performance and personality.

Both male and female dancers who auditioned were put to a rigorous test. First, the company dancers performed three dance routines that were taught at the audition. Then, as a group, they performed the dances for the company members. The dances included tap, lyrical and jazz numbers.

The Company was looking to find dancers who had ballet, jazz, modern and step style dances. The Dance Company is a student-run organization and its members choreographs all their own moves and picks out their own costumes and music.

Meghan Viveiros, freshman, made the company last semester and said, “I was really nervous for auditions last semester but all the girls in Dance Company were very welcoming. It is a really great organization and we are looking foreword to getting new members this semester.”

New members will be participating in the Spring Show that the company puts on. They are also planning to have a Valentine’s Day fundraiser and hope to teach a class at Hamden High School.

The Dance Company participated in a slew of programs last semester, as well. The group danced at Parents Weekend, Midnight Madness and performed one of two shows that the company puts on in the year.

The list of people who made it will be posted on the door of the Dance Company which is located in the Student Center. For more information, call x8354.