Be on time to rush

Jenn Press

Club News Editor

At the Greek kickoff on Jan. 31, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Sigma Sigma will showcase their chapter in a formal presentation.

In the past, choreographed entertainment has been included in addition to the slide show and information session.

Four QU recruitment counselors will encourage students to go Greek, as opposed to advertising their individual sorority.

Anyone other than a first semester freshman is entitled to rush. TKE requires a 2.0 average, while sororities require a 2.25. Transfer students may rush.

Various TKE sponsored events will take place throughout the week, giving the men a chance to get to know one another. The activities are informal, but the men must dress in shirt and tie for the interviews.

Intereviews are an opportunity for the TKE members to get to know those who are interested in joining on a personal basis. Those interested will have a chance to sign up for an interview during the week’s activities. They will meet with the president, vice president and the recruitment chair.

At the interviews, the men will be looking for someone who is “friendly, confident; A basic all around good guy,” said McCarty.

If all goes well, the candidates will receive a bid to join the fraternity. Bids must be accepted by the first meeting on Feb. 9.

Those who receive bids will attend the six week new member education training, known as the Apollo program. The program is named after their model Greek god, Apollo.

The new members will be educated about the history of TKE, team building, leadership and social skills.

The training culminates in official initiation into the chapter.

TKE supports Quinnipiac’s no hazing policy, which includes examples from the handbook such as, “physical or mental discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, ridicule, injury.”

“It certainly is not the animal house mentatlity,” said Jamie McCarty, rush chair and VP of Interfraternity Council.

“Ask questions. Don’t hold anything back,” McCarty advises. “We want you for being you. We don’t want you to mold yourself to what you think we would want.”

There are currently 37 members in the fraternity, but there is no a specific amount of men who will be accepted.

“We are looking for quality, not quantity,” said McCarty.

TKE’s national slogan is “redefining fraternity.” The members hope to be viewed differently from traditional stereotypes of fraternities.

The fraternity is “not looking for somebody who’s just out to drink beers, party, and abuse girls,” said McCarty.

The creed states that men should join, “not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character.”

McCarty stressed that TKE looks for the positive in people.

“If we see something good in somebody, we celebrate,” said Mcarty.

McCarty said TKE is not based on religion, race or personal beliefs, but about brotherhood and accepting others.

TKE has volunteered with blood drives and the special Olympics.

“It’s really rewarding to know that you are doing good for the community,” said McCarty.

Members participate in other organizations as well as TKE. The fraternity has seven orientation leaders, three common advisors, the president of Greek Honor Society Order of Omega, three SGA members, including VP of junior class, SPB executives and members of G.L.A.S.S., MADD, CAP and the radio station.

TKE socializes with different chapters around the state, and holds events with the sororities as well.

According to the student handbook, “Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE), is the largest social fraternity in North America, with more than 320 chapters and 300,000 undergraduate initiates. It offers young men the chance to make important friendships and develop personal skills that can accompany them long after graduation.” TKE has been in existence since 1899.

“It’s very exciting to see that more and more people are getting interested in Greek life,” said McCarty. “[TKE is] probably the best thing I’ve done at Quinnipiac,” said McCarty.

A new fraternity is in the process of being added for the fall semester.

For more information, go to www.tkeappapsi.org