QU remembers family, friends and loved ones

Students greeted each other with smiles and hugs, preparing their seats on the Quad for the Sept. 11 memorial.

More than 200 attendees quietly listened as each speaker said a prayer, and encouraged the act of forgiveness.

[media-credit id=1481 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]

“The forgiveness part is something that is kind of hard [for people] to understand,” Executive Director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute David Ives said. “It doesn’t mean that I condone what they did, forgiveness is for the person that’s doing the forgiving. I think holding grudges is counterproductive.”

The atmosphere was heavy with a calm presence of peace. Attendees held hands as a representation of the undeniable human bond we share, a speaker described.

Quinnipiac’s Muslim chaplain, Shamshad Sheikh, said a prayer for the victims and humanity.

“I pray, save the human being from cruelty and hatred, and maybe learn to live in peace, love and compassion,” she said. “We ask you to strengthen those who mourn the loss of their loved ones.”

Alum Travis Moran reminded attendees on the strong role humans play in this world and why they were all at the memorial.

“We are here to remember the astounding resilience of the human spirit, beaten, bruised, and battered but never broken,” Moran said. “We are here to remember who we are: one world, one nation, one community, one family. We are here for each other, and that is something we can truly never forget.”

Attendees included students ranging from all grades, including freshman Katherine Chinnici.

Sept. 11 marks Chinnici’s uncle’s birthday. His work was based in the Twin Towers, however, he wasn’t working on that tragic day.

“It was a big thing for my family, and my dad knew a ton of people [who died on Sept. 11, 2001] so we thought it would be a good idea to come,” she said.

Chinnici usually watches the news or documentaries broadcasted on television with her family for the Sept. 11 anniversary.

It was also freshman Samantha Unger’s first memorial with Quinnipiac University.

“It was nice that there was an actual time and place to pay our respects,” Unger said.

Ives pressed the idea of closure for the terrorist attacks.

“We shouldn’t forget, [but] for us and for our own peace of mind, I think it’s important that we all learn to forgive, and move on,” Ives said.