QU wins the community service award for a second year

For two consecutive years, Quinnipiac University has been recognized by The President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for its various community service projects, which students, faculty and staff participate in.

The program has honored the university for its accomplishments in 2010, and again for its successes in 2011.

In 2010, 370 students engaged in academic service learning, 3,157 students completed community service and 7,259 hours of community service were recorded.

In 2011, the numbers jumped from 370 to 382 students engaged, 2,275 students involved in community service and 13,894 community service hours completed.

The Corporation for National & Community Service launched The President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2006 to spotlight colleges and universities all over the country that serve and positively impact their communities.

“It has been a wonderful experience to have the service and dedication of Quinnipiac students, which we see every day, recognized on a national level,” Quinnipiac’s Director of Community Service Vincent Contrucci said. “It is a testament to the strength and worthiness of the service projects that for two years Quinnipiac has been recognized by the honor roll.”

Contrucci submitted the applications for the 2010-2011 school year. The process involves answering questions about service hours, student involvement, money raised and service learning courses offered by the university.

The application displayed increased participation numbers from 2010 to 2011 in community service projects. Contrucci used Quinnipiac’s Big Event as an example. During 2011, 1,060 students participated in 3,200 hours of community service, aiding an estimated 540 people, compared to 2010 when 680 students completed approximately 2,040 service hours for an estimated 540 individuals.

“You see an increase in the people involved in the Big Event, but we have our own fairly standard community service programs which are offered by our student organizations and I think they are all well attended and supported by the student body,” Contrucci said

He also included the food drive  “Be Kind, Leave Your Food Behind.” This project included 4,023 participating students, completing 300 hours of service and 12 faculty/staff members, who completed 63 hours of work. Together, they helped an estimated 750 people.