Is there a doctor in the house?

In the past, students have found the physician’s hours at Student Health Services a bit frustrating. The students endured grueling waits and hours that were not flexible to students’ schedules.
    Now, with recent developments, Student Health Services has extended the hours of physician services to the university community.
    “Without the help of President John Lahey this could have never been done,” said Kathryn Macaione, RN and Director of Student Health Services. “We are very fortunate, because he believes in us. He is very supportive of student health.”
    Health services have always had a nursing staff 24 hours a day, but now have an additional nine hours for physicians. The service now provides a 23-hour week of physician assistance.
    “Fairfield University and Quinnipiac University are the only two schools with a 24/7 service with beds,” said Macaione.
    University students are pleased and feel safer with the new flexible physician’s hours.
    “Now that there are extended hours for the physicians it makes me feel so much better knowing that the school cares about out health and well being,” said Mike Hallquest, a sophomore business management major.
    Katie Worth, a junior public relations major, is also happy with the new hours.
    “Now they have more availability for students to access,” she said. “Good health is very important to the school community.”
    Student Health Services is a frequently used facility on campus. This year, during the week of Oct. 6 through Oct. 12, 453 students and staff sought medical attention. Of this 453, 355 were residents, 66 commuters, 17 graduates, 11 law students and four were staff members.
    Macaione is pleased with her physician staff. The staff is made up of Yale University’s emergency department and members of the teaching faculty.
    “How much better can we get?” said Macaione.
    Physician hours are as follows: Monday and Tuesday 9 a.m. through 12 p.m., 6 p.m. through 9 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.