Construction springs Student Center leak

Photo credit: Jamie Hill

Due to construction on the second floor of the Carl Hansen Student Center, a leak was sprung on Monday morning, just outside the campus post office.  Rainwater has damaged two ceiling tiles, allowing it  to empty onto the floor and into the hallway near the post office boxes.

Trash cans and advisory signs have been placed underneath the hole in the ceiling to warn people walking by of the slippery mess. Leean Spalding, director of dining services for Chartwells, was at the scene trying to contain the leak.

“It’s unfortunate, but the leak is due to construction,” Spalding said.  “They ripped the whole roof off over the cafeteria, where they are working now.”

The construction excuse, however, doesn’t seem to jive with students.

“Our school is basically leaking,”  Tanya Swiderski, a sophomore pre-med student, said. “I think they should have done the construction when we [students] weren’t here, or at least sped it up. It’s a hassle for them and us doing it the way they are.” Swiderski also commented that she was annoyed with the leak and construction in general.

Construction workers were made aware of the problem and are working to repair the leaking hole in the ceiling of the student center.

Sophomore Megan de Vizio, a marketing major, said that for $45,000 a year, “we should be able to stay dry inside.”

A flash flood watch was issued for Hamden, Conn. from 6 a.m. until later this evening, according to The National Weather Service.