Christian Fellowship offer support and guidance

The Christian Fellowship is a group on campus aimed at helping students to grow and to share in their faith. They strive to help their fellow students regardless of what religious background, by offering support and guidance in the difficult times all college students go through.
    Member Emily Pember described the group as a place that helps her grow in her faith and as a person.
    “Being there helps me get through my week,” she said. “It is great to have a somewhere to relax where you can reflect and take the stress of the world away. It’s always so great being there, surrounded by people who care.”
    The group meetings are run by a “servant team” made up of students who organize events, meetings and find speakers to talk at meetings.
    A typical meeting begins with praise and worship, sometimes accompanied by piano or guitar. Then, there is a prayer and reflection, which is done differently each week, sometimes in groups.
    Often a speaker, who is a local pastor or a person that someone knows from home, will talk to the group on certain topics. Afterwards there are activities where members can get to know the other members of the group, play games and just hang out.
    Christian Fellowship plans many activities throughout the year. There are some upcoming events that the group will be sponsoring. On Oct. 12 at 5 a.m. the group is planning to hike “The Sleeping Giant” and watch the sunrise. They are also planning to have a Harvest Party later on in the fall where people can just hang out and get to know one another. At the end of the semester they will also be having a Christmas party.
    Matt Himsey, President of the Christian Fellowship said you do not have to be a Christian to participate in the Christian Fellowship.
    “Christian Fellowship is a group that is welcoming to anyone who wants to come and check out the meetings or to investigate Christianity,” he said. “People think Christians are stiff people who don’t like to have fun, but we like to have fun, and we’re normal people and want to share our faith with people and friends on campus.”
    Meetings are held on Thursdays at 7:30 in SC 207. Himsey said you do not have to be a member to come to the meetings. Students looking for ways to help out are welcome, as are students with ideas for speakers or a talents that can be used to benefit the group’s goals, which are to help people have a better understanding of their faith.
    The Christian Fellowship does a lot around campus to help fellow students.
    “The people are great; they will embrace anyone who wants to come to the group and will help them with the investigation of Christianity. It’s good to have people around to help with advice and questions that they have already gone through. It’s where you can come together when you need help.” explains Himsey. Be sure to go and check out the meetings and see what the group has in store for the year.