Ice cream founders to speak at institute

Quinnipiac University will celebrate its affiliation with the Albert Schweitzer Institute next month when they kickoff the year with Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, co-founders of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream.
    On Sunday, Oct. 6 at 3 p.m. in the gymnasium, Ben and Jerry will deliver the keynote lecture titled, “An Afternoon of Social Responsibility, Radical Business Philosophy, and free dessert for all.” Free dessert will be offered to all who attend. The celebration is free and open to the public.
    After the lecture, non-profit organizations from around Connecticut will participate in a service-learning fair in which students will learn how they can get involved in exciting volunteer opportunities.
    “Quinnipiac is developing new programs dealing with peace, education, environment, values, art, and promoting humanitarianism,” said David Ives, executive director of the Albert Schweitzer Institute.
    These programs will reflect the philosophies that Schweitzer believed in.
    The university became involved with the Albert Schweitzer Institute through President John Lahey and his vision for the university.
    The university hopes to bring the world of Dr. Albert Schweitzer to campus, and in turn put students out into the world.
    “The goal of the institute on campus is to have students become more engaged in the world,” said Ives. “And more knowledgeable about the world outside the United States, alleviate suffering in the world, and to have Quinnipiac students care about what happens to others,” he said.
    The Institute will be developing programs that will involve students on campus and assist them in touching the lives of others, while following the inspirations of Schweitzer.
    Schweitzer spoke of “finding your own Lambarene or of finding a second job” that involved service to others. Quinnipiac is looking to pursue that goal with the event.
    Schweitzer was a famous physician, philosopher, and humanitarian, who dedicated his life to helping those who were less fortunate.
    Schweitzer wanted to “make his life an argument,” meaning he wanted to be an example for others. He obtained doctorate degrees in philosophy and theology before the age of 30 and was a renowned organist.
    It was not until he was 30 years old that he decided to become a medical missionary after he read a pamphlet describing the need of a French missionary society in Africa.
    After completing medical school, Schweitzer went to Africa where he established a hospital and provided relief for those who were suffering.
    Schweitzer died in Africa at age 90, and is still viewed as an inspiration to serving humanity today. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his commitment to mankind.
    For more information about the Albert Schweitzer Institute contact David Ives at x3140 or [email protected].