Celebrating Earth Day can make a difference

On April 22 you may have noticed small packs of concerned individuals collecting trash, protesting current threats to the environment, or just gathering to go on a long walk and enjoy the beauty of Mother Nature. “Why?” you may ask. Well, the answer is Earth Day.
    In 1969, an environmental concerned U.S. senator Gaylord A. Nelson suggested that college campuses use this day to educate their students of the things that needed to be changed in the environment. The plan was very successful.
    The next year Dennis Hayes, a member for the Stanford University community, lead hundreds of students to organize the first official Earth Day. Over 20 million people joined hands that day to help Mother Earth.
    Since 1970, throughout the United States and the world, people from every facet of life take the opportunity to do something nice for our planet.
    In elementary schools, teachers do recycling projects, litter collecting, or even tie-dying to help their young students learn that they too can help the earth.
    Older students and concerned adults join rallies and do local clean-ups to help their communities celebrate the day.
    No one is ever to young or to old to help this great cause.
    Since 1970, the government has done their fair share in helping out our planet. The Environmental Protection Agency was established to set and enforce pollution standards.
    What can you do to celebrate the earth? It is easy, plant a tree, recycle, carpool, visit a local park and make a donation, or volunteer to make a difference in the community.
    If you are the more pro-active type and like to get your hands dirty, the Hill Stead Museum in Farmington is having a ‘clean-up’ to transform their grounds into a beautiful spring garden on April 26. Volunteers are always welcome.
    So remember, go for a walk, enjoy the sun, but just know that the world is a beautiful place, and it is our job to keep it that way.