Dance Company in annual spring show

The Dance Company put on an enthusiastic and well-received show called “Nothing Left For Us To Do But… Dance” in Buckman Theatre on April 18.
    Audience members arrived early and packed the theatre to see the Dance Company’s bi-annual performance featuring two-dozen short dance routines.
    The show picked up energy during the second routine, a fast-paced synchronized tap dance set to Katrina and the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine,” choreographed by Miranda Nesbit.
    The energy continued through the routines featuring all types of dance including, ballet, latin dances, modern, point, and lyrical.
    Music included Styx’s “Renegade” with an enthusiastic response by the audience to the hard rock beat and the suggestive moves choreographed by Pamela Mack. It also included Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” led by Elissa and Lauren Andrews, and Lonestar’s “I’m Already There,” which is a country ballad with ballet moves choreographed by Kristina Angell.
    Throughout the performance, friends and supporters in the audience routinely shouted out the names of their favorite dancers as they appeared on stage. This started to reach a fever pitch with the appearance of Dance Company’s only male performer, Mark Tortora, who performed a spicy latin dance with Erin Rosa, to Elvis Crespo’s “Suavemente.”
    Tortora and Rosa stalked each other across the stage, thrusting their hips, to howls of encouragement from the onlookers.
    The movie “Moulin Rouge” was a recurring theme throughout the night, with several routines based on music from the soundtrack.
    The homage started off with a remake of “Rhythm of the Night” and performers dressed as couples dancing to moves by Jackie Diaz, and also included the smash hit “Lady Marmalade” for Alpha Chi Omega’s dance routine.
    The appearance of Alpha Chi was greeted with a sustained crescendo of yells from the audience, and they lived up to expectations with a campy routine, with individual members vamping and lip-syncing to the music, which alternately elicited giggles and screams of laughter from the audience.
    There was also a routine set to “Sparkling Diamonds,” a remix of Marilyn Monroe’s “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” and Madonna’s “Material Girl” sung by Nicole Kidman, choreographed by Kristen Perez.
    The “Diamonds” routine got off to a rough start as there appeared to be a problem with the sound and lights. It had the dancers restarting the routines several times and waiting in the dark.
    Throughout the night, moments between sets were sometimes punctuated by good-natured, ribald heckling from the audience, and this was no exception. Despite this, the dancers persevered.
    Other highlights included a tap routine set to Styx’s “Too Much Time on My Hands,” with the dancers performing some unorthodox moves and an unusual syncopation reminiscent of “Stomp,” and “All That Jazz” from the musical “Chicago.”
    Dancers performed a burlesque routine, costumed like Liza Minelli from “Cabaret,” in bowlers and tap pants.
    The highlight of the evening, however, was “Made in the 80s,” and the reappearance of Tortora. The audience could not get enough of the over-the-top antics of the performers as they lip-synced and danced to Sir Mix Alot’s “Baby Got Back,” M.C. Hammer’s “Can’t Touch This,” and The New Kids On The Block’s “The Right Stuff.”
    The Dance Company is made up of president Christine Grafer, vice-president Tara Gilbert, secretary Lauren Fikslin, treasurer Danielle Vitale, and costume coordinator Amy Dziobek. Sound was provided by Greg Curtis and Steve Garballano. Lighting was done by Mark Peitch.
    Other dancers include: Danielle Bresnan, Lori Caifa, Angela DelGreco, CaraMarie DeYoung, Amanda-Lyn Esposito, Kerri Fice, Katie Fitzgerald, Lisa Forte, Janine Garafalo, Gina Hering, Meghan Hillegas, Melissa Hoffman, Jamie Menard, Ashlee Nantoski, Geralyn Pettas, Lauren Seager, Amy Tyburczy and Kristen Werlinitch.