International Week brings cultural diversity

After the loss of yet another Quinnipiac student on Thursday night, the university continued on with its daily activities in an effort to look past the tragedy.
    The Social Programming Board decided to carry on with their celebration of cultural diversity on campus, which concluded with a “Cultural Celebration” in the cafeteria.
    The program began with a quick introduction by SPB’s Cultural Chair, Jennifer Hutton, which was then followed by a moving PowerPoint presentation of different cultures from around the world. The show ended with a slide remembering Professor James Marshall who passed away earlier in the week. A moment of silence was then held for both John Paul Medeiros and Marshall.
    The celebration opened up to the students, who were then allowed to move from table to table sampling different foods from different cultures. Students had a wide variety of options to include in their meal, ranging from Malaysian Shrimp with fettuccini in coconut sauce to Miso Soup from the Far East.
    The program also featured speeches by Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs Manuel Carreiro, and a member of the Albert Schweitzer Institute, David Ives.
    Everyone involved looked at the celebration as a great experience.
    “The celebration emphasizes the differences in our community that we may not normally notice on a daily basis,” said sophomore class president Tom Hyde.
    Advisor of the International Club, Michael Clear, said he feels the gathering was a great way to bring awareness of the international experience on our campus.
    International week, which was also sponsored by Residential Life, Career Services, and Student Affairs, had other activities in the past week including a Study Abroad Fair and an international movie.