New Hellenic Society explores Greek culture

The Quinnipiac Hellenic Society is the newest addition to the list of multicultural clubs on campus.
    “The club serves as the official organization of Quinnipiac students of Greek heritage and looks to promote the Greek culture,” according to club founder Maria Athanasopoulos, a sophomore mass communications major.
    Athanasopoulos said that she noticed that there were many different cultural organizations on campus, such as the Asian/Pacific Islander Association and the Black Student Union, and she felt that there was something missing.
    “I figured, why not have a Greek club to go along with the others?” she said.
    Athanasopoulos said that she took the preliminary steps to creating the organization last year as a freshman. She said that one year later, after creating a constitution and selecting a faculty advisor, the club was ready to start.
    Professor Chris Manolis, who teaches consumer behavior in the School of Business, was selected as faculty advisor for the club.
    Manolis said that he is half Greek and as faculty advisor, he serves as a liaison between the club and other members of the Quinnipiac community.
    “I see the club as bringing together people of Greek origin,” he said.
    The first meeting of the club was held on March 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the 1929 Room above the cafeteria.
    Athanasopoulos said that approximately 20 people showed up, a number she was very pleased with.
    “For our next meeting, we might need to look for a bigger room because we were packed into the 1929 Room,” she said.
    Athanasopoulos said that the first meeting served as an introduction to the club.
    Officers have not been selected yet since it is so late in the semester. However, representatives will be selected next year.
    Athanasopoulos said that she wants to hold meetings every other week. Students will be notified of meeting times via a mass e-mail that will be sent out to anyone who attended the first meeting. This e-mail will contain information about upcoming events for the club as well.
    Although the organization has just started, plans are already underway for this year that will allow students to express their pride.
    Club members will march in the Greek Independence Day Parade on April 14, in New York City, according to Athanasopoulos. She said that Fifth Avenue will serve as the parade route.
    A Greek Festival is also being planned for the end of April.

Any students who are interested in joining the club are encouraged to contact Maria Athanasopoulos at x 6229 or at [email protected].