Learning Center holds weekly study skill seminars for students

Quinnipiac’s Learning Center is holding a series of study skill seminars to help students improve their learning styles.
    The seminars, held twice a week, include various programs such as time management, how to control test anxiety, avoiding plagiarism, research paper writing, note-taking skills and taking multiple choice tests.
    All courses, tutored in the Learning Center (TH 119), are held on Wednesdays at 2 p.m. and Thursdays at 11 a.m.
    Judy Villa, the assistant director of the Learning Center, teaches each seminar.
    If a student is unable to attend a session, private tutors are available upon request for a one-on-one session.
    Students can benefit greatly from the Learning Center’s seminars.
    “Students are very appreciative for the help we provide. Some have trouble organizing time and attacking tests. Sitting down to talk to someone usually makes students feel less anxious about going in circles with their studies,” Villa said.
    The seminars are open to faculty members, adjunct professors, graduate students, undergrad students and law students. All are welcome to seek help from the Learning Center, Villa said.
    “The Learning Center supports Quinnipiac students in a variety of ways,” Villa said. “Approximately 40 tutors who work each semester tutor 200 different subjects, giving tremendous assistance to students.”
    Each time a student attends the Learning Center, a specially trained tutor makes note of the session. Upon request, a progress report can be sent to the professor.
    In addition to hosting study skill seminars, the Learning Center provides a variety of programs to aid students with other types of learning problems.
    Professor Andrew Delohery, the director of the Learning Center, provides academic counseling for students on probation through Advanced Learning seminars.
    Delohery is also responsible for aiding students with problems caught early in the semester, Villa said.
    As part of the “early warning system,” professors will notify the Learning Center if they notice severe problems in a student’s performance. Delohery will then contact the student and offer assistance.
    John Jarvis, coordinator of learning services, offers help to students who need special assistance due to physical or learning disabilities.

To make an appointment with the Learning Center, call extention x8628 on Mondays through Thursdays between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. , or on Fridays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.