SAG Awards hit Hollywood

There are so many award shows for film, television, soaps, and music of all sorts. There are too many of them and it is hard to keep track of all of them nowadays, with the Golden Globe’s down and the Grammy’s and Academy Awards scheduled to take place within the next couple months.
    The award show season is officially underway. What will your favorite actor and actress wear?
    Any award is an honor to each recipient, but the Screen Actors Guild Awards is perhaps one of the most prestigious awards. This is because the winners are voted by their peers. Nominees are selected by 4,200 randomly selected actors’ union members and are voted on by all 9,800 members.
    The SAG awards are given annually to those who excel in film and televison. This years nominees were announced on Jan. 30 with two films taking the most nominations. Director Ron Howard’s film “A Beautiful Mind” and Todd Field’s “In the Bedroom” each received three nominations including Outstanding Ensemble performance.
    Actor Russell Crowe got a Best Actor in a film nod for his portrayal of real life Princeton, NJ. schizophrenic mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr. in “A Beautiful Mind,” for which he already won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Drama.
    Other Best Actor nominees are Kevin Kline for “Life As A House”, Sean Penn for “I Am Sam,” Denzel Washington for “Training Day” and Tom Wilkinson for “In the Bedroom.”
    “A Beautiful Mind’s” Jennifer Conelly, “Bridget Jones’s Diary’s” Renee Zellwegger, and “Vanilla Sky’s” Cameron Diaz are also recognized as Best Actress nominees.
    In television, “Everybody Loves Raymond”, “West Wing” and “The Sopranos” scored the most nominations with four a piece, including Best Ensemble Cast in a Drama and Comedy, respectively.
    Fan favorites “Friends” and “Will and Grace” are also recognized by the actor’s union receiving actor nods as well as an ensemble cast in a comedy.
    We’ll all have to wait and see who will take home a statuette when the eighth annual Screen Actor’s Guild Award’s air live from the Shrine Auditorium March 10 at 8 p.m. on TNT.