SGA handles campus concerns

SGA would like to welcome everyone back to Quinnipiac!
    Many campus issues have already been brought up this semester. One matter raised was focused on the decision of a new mascot. Many students are interested in the University process and eager to know the identity of the university’s representation. There will be a Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 26, during which the issue will be discussed further. Many students have inquired about the construction hours for the new upper classman residence hall which is being built. Construction begins at 7 a.m. on weekdays to ensure completion by August 2002.
    Another issue dealt with the fact that Quinnipiac students normally receive their schedules of classes at their homes over winter break.
    This year that did not happen. The university would like students to use the Internet resources to print their schedules.
    Student Government is also working with facilities on adding more lighting around the Pine Grove buildings. Additionally, security cameras in North Lot are to be installed.
    Furthermore, Student Government is working with Prof. William Clyde, Professor of Finance and Dean of Academic Technology, on trying to get a computer lab opened for student use.
    The sophomore class cabinet is taking on the issue of off-campus housing. Recently, Residential Life informed sophomores that reside in Quinnipiac-owned off-campus houses that they cannot live in them next year.
    Carol Boucher, Associate Dean of Students and Director of Residential Life, has been very cooperative as always with SGA and attended our meeting on Jan. 23, to address any concerns and questions students have regarding the issue.
    Also this summer, the cafeteria will be renovated. A soup bar will be added.
    On Wednesday, Jan. 30, a special election was held for a sophomore and a junior representative position to be filled. Congratulations to the two newest representatives of Student Government, Sophomore Sal DiGiacomo and Junior Maria Canella.
    If interested in making a difference at Quinnipiac and being part of Student Government, attend an information session on one of the following dates: Monday, Feb. 4, at 5:30 p.m. in Student Center 207, Monday, Feb. 4, at 6:30 p.m. in Student Center 207, Tuesday, Feb. 5, at 5 p.m. in Buckman Center 129, Tuesday, Feb. 5, at 7 p.m. in the 1929 room (above the cafeteria) and Wednesday, Feb. 6, at 6 p.m. in Buckman Center 129. Positions are available in all classes for the 2002-2003 academic school year.

Student Government Association meetings are open to all students. SGA meetings are held every Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. in SC 207. For questions, call Thomas Fortunato, Student Government President @ X 8475 or stop by the SGA office in SC 212.