Dance Company members performed show, ‘Born in the USA’

“God bless America!,” “United we stand!,” “Stars and stripes forever!” These phrases have become more significant after the events of Sept. 11. Many Americans have expressed extensive and fortuitous amounts of patriotism.
    At Quinnipiac, students demonstrate their love and loyalty to America in many ways–through hanging flags, through hosting vigils and through performance.
    From Nov. 29 to Dec. 1, Quinnipiac’s Dance Company performed a show titled “Born in the USA.”
    The performance included songs and dance styles, that were reflective of America’s past and present.
    Mark Tortora and Erin Rosa reminded the audience of swing style dancing with fancy footwork and quick turns.
    The dancers also paid a tribute to America’s “King of Pop,” Michael Jackson, by performing some of the artist’s best-known songs such as “Thriller” and “Smooth Criminal.”
    Other portions of the show called to recognition some more contemporary American music icons including N’Sync, Britney Spears and Alicia Keys.
    “The show was very well done. The music was great and the costumes were very colorful. They put a lot into it,” said Hamden resident, Jack Kitavitz.
    The company, made up of 33 members, focuses on tap, ballet, hip-hop, jazz, swing and lyrical styles of dance.
    “We put a lot of hard work and dedication into the show and we dance off the enthusiasm of our audience,” said Geralyn Pettas, the company’s president. “We appreciate the Quinnipiac community supporting us.”
    The company will be performing another show in the spring.
    Photos by Jen Miller