8 reasons to rush or not to rush

Alpha Delta Pi

“I went ‘Greek’ because I wanted to be part of a tight knit community and be able to meet and work with a group of amazing girls. Now whenever I’m on campus I get to see at least one of my sisters. It’s awesome to feel a part of something bigger than me!” said Kimberly Serrapica, member of Alpha Delta Pi.

Phi Sigma Sigma

“Before coming to Quinnipiac, I never thought about joining a sorority. Once I saw all of Greek life hosting different events and having so much fun, I decided I wanted to join in on the fun and become part of the Greek community. Joining Phi Sigma Sigma was the best decision I have ever made in my college career. Not only have I made lifelong friends, I have 86 sisters who I know will always be there for me and vice versa,” said Kasey Costa, member of Phi Sigma Sigma.

Kappa Alpha Theta

“The reason why I decided to join Greek life was because I wanted to feel a part of something special. I had no idea when I decided to go out for recruitment, all the incredible young women I would meet, the memories we would create together, and being an only child that I could say I have over 90 girls that I call my sisters and really mean it. Greek life has only brought only incredible memories for a lifetime. I’m so proud of all my Kappa Alpha Theta sisters. Thank you for all you’ve done for me,” said Christen Samuels, member of Kappa Alpha Theta.

Sigma Phi Epsilon

“I wanted something in my life that would help me strive to achieve a higher standard – something that will help me to strive for excellence. Oh yeah, and my orientation leader, Steve Altman, was as huge influence on my decision!” said Lou Venturelli, member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Tau Kappa Epsilon

“I decided to rush a fraternity because I was heavily involved in extracurricular activities in high school and I felt that I wasn’t involved enough on campus and I saw how involved Greek life was with the campus and the community. I also grew up with just my mom and sister so I always wanted a sense of brotherhood and when I saw how the brothers of TKE interacted with each other, I knew there was something more than just friendship and I wanted to be a part of that,” said Freddy Rodriguez, member of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Sigma Gamma Rho

“I decided to join a Greek organization when I was introduced to the Divine Nine (D9). The Divine Nine is comprised of nine historically African-American fraternities and sororities under the National Pan-Hellenic Council. After doing my research of the D9 sororities, going to my first informational and meeting members I felt as though Sigma Gamma Rho fit me best. The women were extremely genuine and great examples of the type of woman that I would do well to emulate. In addition, Sigma Gamma Rho is an organization of community service and is a bond for life beyond a social fellowship and the wearing of letters, which is something I really admired,” said Natacha Varela, president of Sigma Gamma Rho.

Alpha Chi Omega

“I went Greek because there was nothing for me to lose but everything in the world for me to gain from my time in a sorority. I wanted to grow and learn and enhance my college experience. I realized that that could be accomplished much better with a group of sisters behind me; building me up when at times I may feel broken down by other things going on in my life. I wanted to be more involved on campus and Alpha Chi Omega has not only given me that but it has taught me leadership, confidence, understanding, and compassion for others – essentially from going Greek I’ve gained much more than classroom lessons, but important tools to take with me beyond the Quinnipiac campus,” said Kerstein Perez, member of Alpha Chi Omega.

No greek affiliation

“I didn’t join Greek life at QU because when I was a freshman, I felt like it wasn’t really broadcasted to the students. I felt like I didn’t know a lot about it, so it didn’t really catch my attention. I still feel like I have just as much of a good friend support system without belonging to a sorority,” said Laura Ullenes, junior at Quinnipiac, finance major, Econ/finance club, work study.