Students take to shears for St. Baldrick’s

The Student Programming Board hosted the 2012 St. Baldrick’s Kick-Off Monday night, rallying students to shave their heads for childhood cancer.

The event gave students the opportunity to pre-register for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation fundraiser, which will be held on March 6 in Burt Kahn from 7-11 p.m. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation’s mission is a commitment to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives.

The event is focused around shaving volunteers’ heads to raise awareness for the cause.

“If you don’t want to shave your head, you are still encouraged to come,” said Kristen Cagney, SPB member. “Students can register to shave their heads to raise awareness, volunteer or fundraise. Last year there was a huge turn-out of over 400 people. It’s an awesome event.”

There are no speakers confirmed for this year’s event, but SPB is currently working with the foundation to bring a child cancer patient to speak to the participants. Additionally, SPB is also hoping to have them build teddy bears at the event, which would be brought to children’s hospitals.

In the last two years SPB has held the event, over 185 heads have been shaved.

One of the students at the Kick-Off, Steven Robertson, a junior, registered to shave his head for the second time.

“I think this is absolutely fantastic,” said Robertson whose family has been affected by cancer. “This whole organization offers an unbelievable opportunity to really donate something that is difficult to find. This is something that starting last year, I made sure I did it whenever the opportunity came up.”

Anyone interested in participating can register at the event on March 6, or online at http://www.stbaldricks.org/events/quinnipiac.