7 things to do on Parent’s Weekend

Quinnipiac University’s annual Parents and Family Weekend over the years has grown into a popular, successful event. More opportunities for parents to get a sense of the college environment their children are living in are provided by the University each year. A beautiful fall New England weekend serves as the backdrop for the parents and students’ activities. Here are just a few options of where to take Mom and Dad when they arrive.

1. Register: Friday, Oct. 16 registration begins at 1 p.m. Pick up your registration packet which includes your name tag, meal tickets and a schedule of the weekend’s events. You can meet on the Quad to register with your parents until 7 p.m.

2. Attend a Seminar in Your Respective School: From 2-5 p.m., the schools of Business, Communications, Health Sciences, and the College of Arts and Sciences are giving seminars that highlight their recent accomplishments and future goals. Before each seminar begins, attend the Career Services’ “Career Roadmap to Success” presentation from 2-3:30 p.m. to learn about the connections Quinnipiac has to offer with jobs, internships and clinical opportunities.

3. Go to Midnight Madness: After you and your parents have had your fill of dinner from the Student Organizations Food Fair, head up to the TD Bank Sports Center at 7 p.m. for a kickoff of Quinnipiac University’s men’s and women’s basketball seasons. QU Spirit organizations will perform to liven up the crowd.

4. Attend an Experience: On Saturday morning, after you attend the Campus Welcome Coffee Bar in Alumni Hall and chat with University professors and organizers, attend a session provided by each of the University schools. These “experiences” are hosted by the deans of each school and provide information about what is going on, how to get involved and how to plan your career.

5. Relax and Tour: After attending the morning sessions discussing the Quinnipiac University schools, take your parents over to the designated lunching area. Gourmet boxed lunches are provided for each family member, and the location is determined by the student’s respective school or college. After lunch, head up to the newly constructed York Hill campus from 2-4 p.m. and show your parents what the second highest point in Connecticut looks like. Take in the new building with its breathtaking views.

6. Eat and Laugh: Take your parents into Hamden for a Saturday night dining experience. Quinnipiac’s Web site lists many restaurants in the area for your family to choose from. After a filling meal, head back to campus at 8 p.m. to watch comedian Roy Wood Jr. in Alumni Hall. Share laughs with this shrewd comedian as he jokes about everyday life.

7. Climb the Giant: At 10:30 Sunday morning, Quinnipiac is provided a guided hike at the east end of Sleeping Giant Mountain. Come in hiking gear, bring a water bottle and enjoy the picturesque fall leaves as you climb the mountain for a chance to see for miles from the top.

The few events listed are just some of the events Quinnipiac is hosting this weekend. Show your parents just how far their dollar is being stretched here. With the perfect combination of educational sessions and family fun entertainment all taking place on our aesthetically beautiful campus, who could ask for a better weekend?