Hung up on ‘The Hangover’

Quinnipiac students surrendered their Saturday night on Oct. 3 to see one of the biggest box office hits of the summer, “The Hangover.” The movie features a “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” mentality.

Best friends Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), Doug (Justin Bartha), and Alan (Zach Galifianakis) head to Las Vegas in celebration of Doug’s bachelor party. In true Las Vegas form, the foursome underestimate the taboo of the city and awake in the morning to a damaged hotel suite, one inexplicable baby, five chickens, a tiger, one missing groom-to-be, and absolutely no recollection of the previous night’s events.

The remainder of the comedy focuses on the search for Doug, and any lingering clues or hints that can help his friends find him before he hits the altar. A worried fiancé and a rapidly approaching wedding only add to the comedic suspense that makes this movie one of the most original films of the last few years.

At one point in the movie, the trio must return the tiger they stole from celebrity fighter Mike Tyson. As they enter his mansion, they walk in on Tyson singing his rendition of Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight.” The witty celebrity cameo by Tyson truly added to the winningly fresh and downright hilarious dialogue.

Though the movie features a predictable ending, audiences would be disappointed with any other conclusion. Although the outcome is conventional, nothing else in the movie proves to be predictable.

“The Hangover” director Todd Phillips takes full advantage of the movie’s R-rating by incorporating a maximum amount of foul language, sexual content and nudity. With such a flexible plotline, these controversial elements give this film that added spice to make audiences go wild, laughing at the hilarity and ridiculous events that occur.

This breakout movie does contain some emotional substance, other than just silly, drunken antics. All of the male characters undergo some sort of personality transformation. Stu, the henpecked dentist realizes his worth, and dumps his bitchy girlfriend. Phil, the uncompassionate teacher, realizes the true importance of friends and family. Although Alan’s character remains exactly the same, he leaves Vegas with three more comrades than he had before.

“The Hangover” is an entertaining and fresh movie that surely deserves the title of 2009’s best comedy.