Your guide to fall flicks

While the month of September marks the end of the warm weather and summer cinema blockbusters, the upcoming fall months are sure to satisfy your appetite for film with a slew of releases.

“The Invention of Lying” is scheduled to open on Oct. 2. In this comedy, which stars Ricky Gervais, Jennifer Garner, Rob Lowe and Jonah Hill, everyone in the world tells the truth except for one outcast, Mark Bellison (Gervais), who discovers the concept of lying. Gervais has been a victim of the ugly truth his entire life. Now that he has mastered the act of lying, he can use his false words to create the life he has always wanted, and get the girl (Garner) he has always dreamed of.

“Couples Retreat” is yet another Vince Vaughn comedy classic set to open Oct. 9. Four couples trying to save their relationships gather at a tropical island resort where they soon learn that in order to stay at the resort, participation in various therapy sessions are mandatory. In this comedy, also starring Kristin Bell, Jason Bateman, Kristin Davis and Jon Favreau, the couples learn just how strong or troubled their relationships are as they participate in various therapy activities such as sensual yoga and swimming with sharks. This beautiful setting may be enough to either make or break these complicated and funny couples.

Fall thriller “The Box,” is scheduled for release on Nov. 6. This upcoming supernatural horror stars Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and Frank Langella. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis (Marsden and Diaz) are a financially challenged couple who are given a strange and threatening box by a stranger (Langella). They are told that if they agree to press certain buttons on the box, they will receive one million dollars. The catch, however, is that as they continue to press buttons, people they do not know will die in the process.

“Brothers” is a modern war drama set to open on Dec. 4. The movie casts Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire as brothers who entwine themselves in a serious love and war triangle. Maguire’s character is a soldier who is sent to fight in Afghanistan while he leaves his brother (Gyllenhaal) to take care of his wife (Natalie Portman) and kids. When news spreads that Maguire died in combat, Portman and Gyllenhaal begin a short lived romance until they learn that Maguire’s character in fact, is still alive.

Alice Sebold fans will be happy to learn that her bestselling novel travels to the cinema with the release of “The Lovely Bones” on Dec. 11. The movie stars Mark Wahlberg, Susan Sarandon and Rachel Weisz. The movie features Suzie Salmon, a young murdered girl who watches from heaven as her family copes with their loss while still seeking answers. Although her family has the pieces, only Suzie can help fit them together so that her murderer is brought to justice before he can attack his next victim.

The fall comedy, “Did You Hear About the Morgans?” is scheduled for release on Dec. 18. Divorcing couple Meryl and Paul Morgan (Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker) attempt to save their marriage when they are relocated to Wyoming under the Witness Protection Program after witnessing a murder. The simple life may be just the thing they need to save their marriage. On the other hand, complete tranquility may be the worst possible setting for two stubborn New Yorkers who have a raw talent for fighting.