Four Quinnipiac SGA members resign

Four members of the Student Government Association, including the Class of 2014 president, resigned from their positions on the general board during the winter recess due to personal reasons, Vice President of Student Concerns Vincent Bond said.

Matthew Desilets, former Class of 2014 president, said in an email, “my resignation was for personal reasons, that is all. SGA has provided me the greatest experience at this university and my time in SGA is something I will always cherish.”

The three junior class representatives who resigned are Camilla Gomes, Steve Ducos and Saba Shahid.

“It was a little shocking, but then again, I see the reasons why,” Shahid said of the other resignations. “Everyone who did resign is doing it to better their future because there’s other priorities; obviously academics comes first.”

Shahid resigned after two and a half years of involvement in the organization.

“I have a lot of other things going on that I need to put more time into and focus on to excel in the field that I’m trying to go in to,” Shahid said. “I have so much pride and love for this organization but it was something that I knew I had to do in order to succeed in other parts of my life.”

Ducos, a representative for the Class of 2013, said in an email that he resigned because of scheduling conflicts and rising academic responsibilities.

“It was a very difficult decision to make because they are such wonderful and amazing people who share the same love that I have for our university,” Ducos said.

The Student Government will hold a special election on Feb. 8 to select three new junior representatives. The sophomore position has been filled by Marissa Harper, former vice president for the Class of 2014 and Caitlin Gallagher is the new vice president for the Class of 2014, Bond said.

“The executive board would like to commend their service and efforts on the Student Government, and they will be missed this semester,” Bond wrote in an email.