Theta deals denim, jewelry

For the student who enjoys philanthropy just as much as the latest department store sale, Kappa Alpha Theta’s Charity Denim Auction was a winning combination. On Sept. 14 in Alumni Hall, the Quinnipiac University sorority held a denim auction whose proceeds went to the Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation.

In its second year, the sisters pulled off a successful auction complete with designer jeans, raffles and outside vendors. The money for the non-profit foundation will work to provide scholarships, grants and support other financial needs of Kappa Alpha Theta. At press time, the totals of the auction were not finalized but the ladies are expecting to donate at least $1,000 to the charity.

“The jeans [we brought in were] from a company called Charity Denim. They buy jeans from overstock and get to sell them at discounted prices at charity events all around the country at other schools as well,” said Kayla Vandervort, vice president of public relations for the sorority. The company contributes supplies for many other charities and can be found online at www.charitydenim.com.

Every fashion savvy girl knows the exorbitant prices of designer jeans can range from $100 to $500, so a discount was widely welcomed. Attendees had the chance to shop for designer jeans such as 7 for All Mankind, William Rast, True Religion, Brown Label, Chip & Pepper, Joe’s, 1921 and 575 Denim at 40 to 70 percent off. Vandervort walked off with a pair of coveted Dry Aged Denim jeans for only $75.

The successful auction was topped off with a local jewelry vendor who came in to sell trendy jewelry on site. Raffle prizes included a pair of designer jeans, an iTouch and a signed Billy Joel CD. Baked goods were also sold to attract students.

The chance to support a good cause while buying a new pair of stylish fall jeans on sale proved to be just the ticket for the ladies of Theta.

“The event was extremely fun to run,” Vandervort said. “The sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta thank everyone who came out and helped support the event and help raise as much money as we did despite the economic recession.”