RAVE of the week

E!’s “The Soup” is actually one decent show on the celebrity obsessed cable net. Hosted by Joel McHale, “The Soup” is a biting half-hour that showcases the funniest, most absurd, biggest train wreck moments of the last week in entertainment. Recurring segments include “Chat Stew” (clips of the funniest talk show moments, mostly comprised of Tyra Banks), “Reality Show Clip Time!” (the most outrageous reality show moments) and “Let’s Take Some E!” (where McHale gets to make fun of the horrible reality shows that air on E!). McHale and his ragtag gang of cohorts (who often make appearances in sketches) help re-enforce the lunacy and ludicrousness of the previous week in Hollywood. Even Hellogoodbye is a fan of the comedy clip show.

“Oh, yeah, I love ‘The Soup,'” Forrest Kline, lead singer of Hellogoodbye, said to The Chronicle.

The best moments are the recurring clips that re-appear more than once. More recently, Joel McHale has played a clip from a woman on “Maury,” who says “chicken tetrazzini” in a sassy voice and he plays that unexpectedly whenever appropriate. (Tyra Banks telling everyone to kiss her derriere on her talk show also appears often.) Forget VH1’s “Best Week Ever,” the energy and cosmic bursts of laughter are greater on “The Soup.”