$50 fashion finds

At times, being young and in college can seem tough – you have loads of school work to complete weekly, you’re still not old enough to drink alcohol and you’re usually without money. If it were easy to hold a job and get a 4.0 in college, you would be the happiest person on earth.

Unfortunately, money is tight these days and is usually sacrificed for good grades. Buying the designer clothes and the hippest accessories is desired but also unrealistic. Luckily, you can be in college and still look fabulous in outfits that cost less than $50. Local malls are stocked with stylish fashion steals if you are willing to look. Take a trip into Old Navy, Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe and your closet just might become a bit more economically savvy.

Old Navy, a partner company under Gap Inc., has been in shopping centers since 1994. They offer basic staples and timeless pieces that will usually last years. Old Navy’s classic and often preppy clothing allows for flexibility – their clothes are designed to be mixed and matched with any other item in your wardrobe, so you can reuse and restyle their clothing any day of the year.

That’s where the ensemble of a flowy black top, cutoff jeans and chunky wedges comes in – to represent the standard outfit for casual dinner with friends or a shopping trip into New Haven. The “Women’s Braid-Trim Top,” priced at $14.50, gathers at the bottom and reveals a deep scoop neck with braided trim, giving a little twist to what would normally be a basic top. This outfit will run you $49, but the wear you get out of it will make up for the cost.

The top paired with the “Women’s Double-Cuff Denim Shorts” at $15 gives this outfit the American classic touch of denim. The “Women’s Knotted Espadrille Wedge” in plaid pink offers the edge the outfit deserves – the multi-colored plaid print with hues of blue, red and pink add the necessary pop of color. For $19.50, the wedges are an affordable staple that can bring life to any basic outfit.

Forever 21 is another clothing store with shoppers both under and over the marketed aged of 21. The store’s incredible prices give shoppers the chance to get insanely creative. Different patterns, materials, designs and fabrics are unlimited. The clothes look as if they come straight off the rack at Bloomingdales.

Their “Dainty Floral Print Jumpsuit,” at $24.50, is an example of their on-point trends. The jumpsuit gives off the look of a 1950s pinup, with flowers dotted across the span of the material. When paired with the light brown “Carmela Faux Leather Sandals” priced at $7.50, a touch of Greek Goddess is added. The “Carrie Crochet Beret” in mustard for $8.80 and the “Tear Drop Stone Necklace” in emerald green accessorize the rest with bohemian touches. At a $49 combined total, this outfit proves that Forever 21 can mix different styles together in one outfit.

For the nights when you want to head to New Haven, Charlotte Russe just may be your go-to store for utterly fashionable finds. The reasonably-priced chain store sells the tops, bottoms and accessories you would wear for college nightlife.

The store’s “Pleated A-Line Skirt” in bright red priced at $22.99 is just short enough and adds a touch of flair. Combining the skirt with a more subdued tank top such as the “Pointelle Tank Top” for $7.50 balances out the ensemble. The “Romantic Charm Necklace,” for $6.99 is an added feature for the black tank top. Top it off with a pair of black boots, and you’ll be set to go for a night of fun. This outfit will cost you less an affordable $38.

“I like these stores because they are reasonably priced and give a good selection so you’re not always wearing the same things as everyone,” freshman psychology major Kelsey Bukowski said.

Being fashionable is easy to do when some of the most stylish stores offer the clothing that you can buy without regretting the swipe of a credit card. With stores such as these, shopping is more accessible. $50 may seem like a stretch, but saving the money your parents give you for takeout or the birthday money you received in the mail just might get you an outfit worth talking about. Take pride in being a broke college student – it just may get you the most fashionable outfit to date.