The Click Five makes a comeback

The Click Five rocked the house at The Space in Hamden on Friday, March 27. Connecticut was one of the last stops on their Residency Tour “How the East Was Won” and it also made stops in Boston, New York City and Philadelphia.

The Click Five has transformed since its hit “Just the Girl” was first released in 2005. Following the departure of lead singer Eric Dill in 2006 to pursue a career in acting, the band quickly tried to find a replacement. Yet, its first album, “Greetings from Imrie House,” filled with power-pop, catchy, retro songs, ranked on the Billboard 200 chart at No. 15.

This set the bar high when searching for a replacement. The quartet headed back to the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston (which they all attended) where they stumbled across 21-year-old singer and guitarist Kyle Patrick, a native of Atlanta. He was just the edge the band needed with a much deeper voice. This new addition allowed the band’s music to change, embracing a more edgy, rock sound.

From their performance, it is evident to see just how far they have come in such a short amount of time. Their sophomore record, “Modern Minds and Pastimes” (2007) took two years, 80 songs and a new lead singer to finally become a reality. Yet, the group has managed to keep it together.

At The Space, The Click Five performed many songs off their second album like “Jenny,” “Happy Birthday,” “All I Need is You” and “I’m Getting Over You.” And their performance of the song, “Headlight Disco,” was certainly a crowd pleaser. The songs possess a much more eclectic feel to them – with styles from the ’60s mixed with modern influences.

“As a band, we have ‘Modern Minds – we’re young and a product of our time – yet at the same time we’re old souls, so the word ‘Pastimes’ has an appropriate dual meaning,” bassist Ethan Mentzer said in a post on the band’s Web site.

The band also teased the crowd with samples of songs they are recording for their newest album. In respect to past generations, the band plans to release a 45 record.

The Click Five has created a new sound and meaning to their music. Their lyrics are more in depth than their first album and have truly developed more in the aspect of story-telling.

Many of their newer songs are melancholy, filled with sadness that is relatable to anyone going through heartbreak-the complete opposite of their previous music. Yet, they are experts at painting pictures to incorporate this newfound depth. They still possess the power-pop aspect of what they became well-known for, but display great vulnerability on their second album.

The Click Five are more than preppy, harmonizing, well-dressed guys with great hair, and their recent performances have certainly proven their relevancy in music today.