Rave of the week: Chuck

This action-comedy is one of the most fun hours of television a week led by star Zachary Levi. Levi plays Chuck, and in the first episode of the series, has a government intersect transmitted in his brain that holds secrets useful for the American government. Casey (the bitingly funny Adam Baldwin) and Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski) are CIA agents hired to protect Chuck. Chuck works at the local Buy More (think Best Buy), but uses his intersect to help Casey and Sarah bust the bad guys on missions. Sarah is Chuck’s cover girlfriend and in the process, the two have developed sizzling chemistry. Levi and Strahovski are smoldering together as the two try to hide their true feelings behind the cover of the relationship. Supporting performances from Sarah Lancaster as Chuck’s sister Ellie and Ryan McPartlin as her fiancé “Captain Awesome” help ground the show in reality. As Chuck helps the CIA, Fulcrum is an agency outside the government after the person who holds the intersect. This aspect of the show is reminiscent to the ’90s Nickelodeon show, “The Secret World of Alex Mack” and one chemical plant’s pursuit of Alex (Larisa Oleynik), who developed powers after a spill that left her with powers. The quirky and off-beat fun and action style of “Chuck” is rare to find on television in 2009.